Who We Are
Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative is a locally owned electric distribution system headquartered in Manassas, Va. NOVEC provides reliable electric service to more than 175,000 homes and businesses in Clarke, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, Prince William and Stafford counties, the City of Manassas Park, and the Town of Clifton.
Tri-County Electric Cooperative was formed in 1939 to provide electricity in rural areas of Loudoun, Fairfax and Clarke counties. Prince William Electric Cooperative first served customers in Manassas and rural areas in Prince William, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun and Stafford counties in 1941. On January 1, 1983, the two consolidated and became NOVEC. Prior to Tri-County and Prince William electric cooperatives, most Northern Virginians who did not live in cities or towns had to live and work without electricity, because delivering power to remote farming regions reduced investor-owned utilities’ profit margins. Learn more about the history of NOVEC.
Office Locations/Service Territory
- NOVEC has office locations throughout our service territory in Manassas, Gainesville, Aldie and Minnieville.
- NOVEC's service territory encompasses 651 square miles with more than 7,200 miles of power lines.
- NOVEC provides reliable electric service to more than 175,000 homes and businesses located in Clarke, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, Prince William and Stafford counties, the City of Manassas Park and the Town of Clifton, all in the state of Virginia.
- NOVEC opened a new service center in Loudoun County in 2018 to better serve our customers in the area.
- NOVEC is a not-for-profit corporation. As a cooperative it is owned and controlled by its members — the customers who purchase energy from NOVEC.
- NOVEC's members elect a board of directors that governs all Cooperative business affairs.
- NOVEC provides electric service to homes and businesses located in Clarke, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, Prince William and Stafford counties, the City of Manassas Park and the Town of Clifton, all in the state of Virginia.
- The majority of NOVEC's customers are residential and small commercial, however, we provide electric service to numerous large commercial retailers such as Potomac Mills Outlet Mall, NOAA's Mount Weather Facility, Vulcan Materials Company, Verizon, AT&T, Doane Food Products, Treasure Chest Advertising, several Luck Stone Corporation quarry locations, and multiple data centers.
NOVEC is a distribution electric cooperative. NOVEC purchases wholesale power through the PJM marketplace. PJM Interconnection coordinates the movement of wholesale electricity in 13 states and the District of Columbia.
NOVEC's long-term energy strategy is to deliver to its customers a locally controlled energy supply that is reliable, environmentally responsible, and competitively priced. Learn more about NOVEC's Power Supply.
- NOVEC's service reliability is the best in the region with a 99.99% average system reliability. This means that NOVEC's customers experience, on average, less than 1 hour of outage time each year. Industry-standard measures, which exclude major storms such as hurricanes, are used for this calculation.
- As a leader on the high-tech frontier, NOVEC is using proven, cost-effective technology to improve productivity and reliability, reduce expenses, and increase cybersecurity – a national priority. Today’s technology includes what the industry calls “smart grid,” as well as fiber optics, and mobile workforce.
- NOVEC's advanced metering system will deliver reliability with faster outage response while giving you greater visibility and control over your energy usage.
NOVEC's bylaws are written rules adopted by the Cooperative to govern its members and regulate business matters. We encourage all customer-members to read the bylaws and feel free to ask any questions concerning them.
View the NOVEC Bylaws (PDF)
For More Information
For other questions or for general information about the Cooperative, you may call the NOVEC Customer Care Center, Monday through Friday, from 7:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at 703-335-0500. Or you can email us.
NOVEC is an equal opportunity provider and employer.